Friday, September 7, 2007

Baby Fever

At 21 years old, I could not imagine taking on the responsibility of a baby. It is a 24 hour a day job that I have no desire to attempt yet. This is why I don't understand all the young people around me I am seeing with babies. I walk through the mall and see all these very young people with their babies. A friend of mine lives with her best friend and her best friend's baby. My friend Desiree, who is only 20, just had a baby four months ago. I just sent an RSVP to attend the baby shower of my friend Jamie who is only 22. Just last year Jamie's younger sister had a baby. Most of the girls I know who have children don't have a father in the picture. It seems as though young people are overcome with baby fever.

I wonder if they understand the responsibility that they are about to take on when they are so eager to have babies. I am fully aware that at this point in my life I am far too selfish to have a baby. I am 21 years old and I love going out and partying whenever I please. I enjoy getting sleep for as long as I please. I like thinking about myself first when I am making important decisions. This may sound bad, but I am just aware of who I am right now. This isn't just me. Jamie, who is now six months pregnant, was a go-go dancer at a club. She would go out with a different guy every month. She loved having fun. She loved her life. Then her younger sister had a baby and she decided she should have one too. I just don't understand having baby fever at such a young age.

As I write this blog there is a baby crying in an apartment close to mine. This same baby kept me up last night because it was crying all night. My guess is that the baby's parents are young and not sure how to make their baby stop crying. I don't want to be misunderstood. I love babies and I believe I will make an excellent mother someday. In fact, when I am ready to have children, I would like to have three of four. I just don't understand why so many young people are in such a hurry to have babies. There is plenty of time for babies. I think you should have children when you are stable and ready to take care of them. I am a strong believer in using your early 20's to have fun and figure out who you are and what you will be doing with your life. That is hard to do with a baby attached to your hip.

No comments: