Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A Creative Block

My whole life I have loved to write. I wrote poems from the age of six. I wrote short stories from the age of ten. When I was fifteen I wrote my first song; my brother wrote the music and I wrote the lyrics. Writing has always been an enjoyable past-time for me, something I could do to unwind. Nevertheless, I have seen that change over the past few months.

My life has become increasingly busy and stressful and my creative juices have slowly dwindled away. I have tried to sit down and write, write anything, and my pen will not move on the paper. I had trouble getting out a simple short story for my creative writing class. Creative writing is a subject that I have always excelled at, and yet my latest short story was just not up to par. Although I received positive feed back, it was not something I was exceptionally proud of.

Each week these blog entries become more difficult to get out. Now I am even having trouble writing research papers and simple homework assignments. I never really knew what writer's block was until recently. I can say with complete certainty that I am currently suffering from a severe case of writer's block. I wish I could just break down the wall and write all my troubles away, but that does not seem to be an option. Since I cannot figure out how to cure my problem, I must continue to do what I have been doing since the beginning of the semester. I must push through till my last final. The end of the semester will lower my stress level, and hopefully allow me time to clear my mind and get to writing again.

No comments: